Friday, November 9, 2007

Friday Wit

I guess I have to say I am sorry for the lack of posting this week. I have had a lot of work to do, at work and home, but I am back to a normal pace of hecktisy. Your right, that is not really a word, but it should be.

Well lets look at history for a bit, the most tragic event of today was in 1938. Nazis burned and looted temples and Jewish-owned stores and houses in Germany and Austria in what became known as Kristallnacht (Crystal Night—referring to broken glass on streets). As with history, that is whitewashing the facts. It was a freakin riot fill with hate. There were over 7000 business destroyed and over 250 synagogues burned. If that shit went down today, we would send in the Marines. Still it is a sad chapter in human history that a population can be incited to be this hateful. Memo to American citizens of today, keep your wits about you.

On this day in 1989, the east and west met in a big old happy love fest in Germany. Sha. While this will go down as a triumph for democracy for defeating communism, there was a lot of WTF going on when it happened. I was stationed in Germany when I was in the Army in '90 and I can tell you there were many west Germans who didn't want jack shit to do with their eastern brethren. See the west had a good life with money then you turn loose a population that was pretty much a bunch of broke ass poor folks on them, well they were shocked for lack of better words. Shocked at what they saw, shocked at how much the easterners were stealing their shit. But everyone eventually got over it and Germany is a pretty happy place today. Of course, not all is hunky dory in Germany. There is still a good amount of hate and contempt for us Americans. I can't count how many old ass Germans gave me the finger when I was there. And for no other reason than I was an American.

I would like to point out that my brother in astronomy, Giovanni D Cassini died today in 1712. If you have not visited the Cassini-Huygens Home page, you are depriving yourself of some of the most spectacular pictures of the Solar System ever taken, specifically Saturn, but it took some nice pics on its way to Saturn. Yeah I have been watching that project for awhile.

Plus lets take a minute to remember John Ritter. He passed on 2003. I still watch 3's Company reruns....

But lets not check out on a sad note, Carl Sagan, Tom Fogerty, and Nick Lachey were all born today. Ha ha ha ha ha

Have a good weekend.

No comments: