Monday, February 11, 2008

Do you remember where you were when you heard Mike Tyson got knocked out?

Yep, it was on this day in 1990 when Iron Mike Tyson got knocked the hell out in the 10th round by James "Buster" Douglas. And in the land of the rising sun no less. I remember where I was and what I was doing. Being a typical dude and hanging out in the pool hall with other dudes. Real exciting I know. Even better it wasn't really a pool hall, it was Cherokee Lanes, so technically I was shooting pool in a bowling alley. Hey, if you can be specific, what good are you?

The best part for me was watching the fight later. What left the best impression for me was the stoic Japanese audience. That crowd was freakin jumpin! Tyson gets dropped on canvas and not one of them moved. Just imagine that same fight in MSG or The MGM Grand. People would have been jumpin up and down shootin their Glocks in the air and what not. Then again who the hell thought Buster Douglas was going to knock out Iron Mike?

It was an upset that rides high among upsets. Whats that saying? Champions fade but upsets are eternal? Rings true my man. Where were you when Mike Tyson got knocked out?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh I was jumping up and down in the area in front of my TV. Yep I was watching live on HBO and being one who always roots for the underdog I went crazy. For one moment the little guy (not really) was gonna rise up and do the unthinkable. And Buster seemed to conjur up the strength of a dozen and put together some of the most devestating combos I have ever seen. It was a great night that left me replaying the knockout over and over in my head while drifting off to sleep.