Friday, January 26, 2007

Sometimes you just have to reflect on shit. In this case, I don't think time can heal these wounds.

01/26/1945. Yeah that was a long time ago, but today does have a little notch of history that many seem to forget.
On this day, Soviet troops enter Auschwitz, Poland, freeing the survivors of the network of concentration camps-and finally revealing to the world the depth of the horrors perpetrated there.

Auschwitz was really a group of camps, designated I, II, and III. There were also 40 smaller "satellite" camps. It was at Auschwitz II, at Birkenau, established in October 1941, that the SS created a complex, monstrously orchestrated killing ground: 300 prison barracks; four "bathhouses" in which prisoners were gassed; corpse cellars; and cremating ovens. Thousands of prisoners were also used for medical experiments overseen and performed by the camp doctor, Josef Mengele, the "Angel of Death."

The Red Army had been advancing deeper into Poland since mid-January. Having liberated Warsaw and Krakow, Soviet troops headed for Auschwitz. In anticipation of the Soviet arrival, the German Gestapo began a murder spree in the camps, shooting sick prisoners and blowing up crematoria in a desperate attempt to destroy the evidence of their crimes. When the Red Army finally broke through, Soviet soldiers encountered 648 corpses and more than 7,000 starving camp survivors. There were also six storehouses filled with literally hundreds of thousands of women's dresses, men's suits, and shoes that the Germans did not have time to burn.


I was in the Army back in the early 90's, first Gulf War all that shit. I was stationed in Germany for a year when I was 19. Mainly I enjoyed it cause I was legal to drink and drink I did. But I traveled a lot when I was over there cause I knew it was the opportunity of a life time. I managed to travel to Auschwitz while I was drunk ass wasted. What a dumbass punk kid I was. I really want to go back there in the right frame of mind cause I feel I disrespected those who died there. Its been 15 years and that still comes up often in my mind. Its fucking creepy. The place is fucking creepy. There is this dust you see in the incinerators, like the shit is melded to the walls and baseboards. You can smell the death there after 50 years. Fuckin creepy evil shit. We live in such a rosy life is good way, where this shit is unthinkable. How in the hell did the world let this shit happenin the first place? Anyway that my somber moment from history today. Sorry if I brought you down, but everyone needs to be reminded what evil really is.

No comments: